Get on the path to results today.
Get on the path to results today.
On behalf of our clients, our team is very experienced working with Afghan government agencies such as the Ministry of Commerce, the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Mining, Da Afghanistan Bank and local customs authorities. We advise business clients on a complete range of matters, from busines formation, taxation, investments, transactions, and corporate governance, as well as international clients on the various status of forces agreeements and NGO matters. We also provide representation for commerical litigation and matters in front of Afghan regulatory agencies.
We also specialize in advising government on legislative, regulatory, and policy reform. Following a significant legistlative drafting project for a GCC government, our experience is now being put to work in Afghanistan with government ministries and agencies.
Our long-standing involvement in Afghanistan has resulted in our team knowing multiple high-level government, military and business people in Afghanistan.
The following are representative clients and transactions involving some of the most-important Afghan businesses:
• Afghanistan Beverage Industries. A leading water-bottling company, which has been the top provider of water to the ISAF troops and the public market. We advised on a significant shareholder dispute and advised the company on its bid to be the Pepsi bottler for Afghanistan).
• Afghanistan Krystal Natural Resources. The first Afghan mining company to receive private-sector foreign funds.
• Afghanistan International Bank. The first private-sector bank in Afghanistan, which acquired all the assets of Standard Chartered Bank in Afghanistan (the first bank acquisition ever in Afghanistan); advised on the IFC’s purchase of certain shares from the bank's shareholders; advised on the refinancing of a $25 million gas-turbine in Jowzjan province.
• Afia Trading/Afia Logistics. Legal review and advice and agreement drafting relating to operations in Afghanistan.
• ANHAM FZCO. Legal consultation and advice on numerous issues relating to operations in Afghanistan, including liigation matters and regulatory compliance.
• Insurance Corporation of Afghanistan. The first insurance company in Afghanistan, supported by USAID and the Lloyd's reinsurance market, which acquired all the assets of Ghazanfar Insurance (the first insurance acquisition in Afghanistan).
• Cowater International. Legal review and consultation in support of settlement of a major tax matter in front of the Ministry of Finance.
• Moby Media Group. Moby Media Group was the first private-sector radio and television provider in Afghanistan, is the current media market leader in Afghanistan and has expanded to the UAE, Pakistan and other countries.
• NGO Support. Various legal consultations for NGO operations in Afghanistan, including Afghanistan Ministry of Education-related projects, the Greenwhich Assessment of Legal Curriculum Projects, the Special Olympics, and the United States Institute of Peace.
Below is a partial list of additional projects and clients our lawyers have advised on in Afghanistan since 2007:
• Afghanistan airline on aircraft leasing and operating matters.
• The largest private construction project in Kabul.
• A leading consumer retail company in the food and beverage sector in Afghanistan.
• Private military companies in Afghanistan.
• Employment related matters for Afghan and international clients.
• Tax matters discussions with the Ministry of Finance on behalf of international clients.
• Various U.S. government agencies regarding transactions in Afghanistan.
• Various private security companies in Afghanistan.
• Various commercial and agency agreements, joint venture and teaming agreements with local partners, leases within Afghan territory and commercial contracts.
• Two of the largest NATO class and US DoD supply agreements into Afghanistan cumulatively amounting to $12 billion in value.
• Advised on the set up of a joint venture among a sector-leading logistics company along with two leading Afghan corporations for a mining tender.
• Engagement strategies with the Afghan Ministry of Mines, vendor/supplier agreements, the preparation of the tender, interaction with the Ministry of Mines and the submission of the tender.
• The set-up of a joint venture (and operational aspects) of Afghanistan’s first water bottling plant, sales from which were primarily catered towards ISAF and now the local Afghan population.
• A $100+ million tax dispute with the Afghan Ministry of Finance. Work involved interacting with numerous ISAF government entities, the Afghan Ministry of Finance and a sector leading defense contractor involving areas relating to withholding tax issues, tax exemptions, corporate income tax, customs and duties.
• Numerous commercial and defense transport matters, including teaming arrangements, transport leasing, sale and lease-back, and warehousing and distribution agreements within Afghanistan.
• Advised and represented a client on numerous security agreements and partnerships (pre and post 2011) within the region.
• Security related matters including investigations into financial fraud, prostitution, corruption and theft related investigations using OSINT and HUMINT methodologies (cross-index interviews, screening and rapport building). Savings and recovery for the client amounted in excess of $50 million.
• Advised on strategic and commercial issues for an Anglo-Turkish energy investor seeking to invest and participate in tenders for six blocks within the Afghan-Tajik Basin.